Saturday, April 14, 2012

Sleek bird.

Brewer's Blackbird, one of the spooky-eyed blackbirds.

I saw a Merlin today, a tough little falcon zipping past at rooftop level.  I said to nobody, because I was with nobody, "Merlin," but couldn't raise an arm to point the bird out to nobody, because my fingers were tangled in the handles of plastic grocery bags, turning purple.

I turned to watch the Merlin as it headed north over the neighbourhood.  It disappeared into the crown of a distant Douglas fir.  It probably kept flying, but out of my sight.

Merlins are amazing.

Brewers Blackbirds are not as amazing as Merlins, but are easier to photograph. 

4 comments:

biobabbler said...

I love this post. I can totally see you standing, staring, agog, your little wings tied down by obligations. =)

Not sure i've ever seen one.

The blackbird, on the other hand, I've seen plenty of. But they're a GREAT example of a bird that is very common yet SUPER gorgeous. Stunning. Nice to remember.

Hugh said...

bb: yes, they're super gorgeous. Super dapper.

KaHolly said...

You never cease to put a smile on my face. I love how your sense of humor shines through your posts. Have a great day. ~karen

Hugh said...

Thanks Karen, I hope you have a great day too.